JMEWS is the interdisciplinary scholarly journal of the Association of Middle East Women’s Studies and publishes three issues per annual volume.
The forthcoming JMEWS editors, Sherine Hafez (University of California, Riverside), Soha Bayoumi (Harvard University) and Ellen McLarney (Duke University) are seeking applications for Editor(s) of the JMEWS Book Review section. We hope to appoint one person or a team of two who apply together, for the position of JMEWS Review Editor(s). We seek Review Editor(s) interested in a vision that includes but goes beyond soliciting reviews for individual books, including essays on cultural texts (books, films, documentaries, exhibits) and interviews, dialogues, or other fora with several people engaging one or more cultural texts.
The position requires a 4-year commitment, from 1 June 2018 – May 31 2022, and ideally the Review Editor(s) can attend the annual meeting of the Middle East Studies Association in 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021, where major JMEWS meetings are held. As is the case for the Co-Editors of JMEWS, the Review Editor(s) position is unpaid. Review Editor(s) interface with a JMEWS Managing Editor and the DUP Journals office, whose staff will be responsible for copy-editing and production. Scholars outside of the U.S. are encouraged and welcome to apply.
The ideal candidate(s):
- have completed a Ph.D. dissertation in any discipline focused on part or parts of the Middle East/North Africa;
- have a feminist, women’s studies, gender studies, or queer scholarly orientation in their research and teaching;
- have published scholarly articles and/or book(s) in the above subfields;
- are very interested, have initiative, and propose creative ideas for this important journal section;
- are organized, responsible, excellent communicators in writing, collegial, and conscientious about deadlines;
Interested Candidates are invited to submit a 1-2 page letter of interest/proposal, a curriculum vita, and the e-mail and telephone contact information of two references by 30 April 2018 to: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Proposals should include a vision statement, specific ideas, and a brief description of relevant experience.